CATIA V5/V6 Based Knowledge Base
Frequently asked Questions
The system requirements for FTICATIAV5 software are very similar to the requirements for CATIAV5. If you are running CATIAV5 successfully, many of the requirements listed below have probably already been met.
The following operating systems are recommended by Forming Technologies:
- Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows 10 (64-bit)
- Multi-core, 64-bit processor (ex. Intel i5, i7 or Xeon)
- Dedicated graphics card recommended (not integrated on motherboard such as Intel Integrated graphics)
- 4GB of RAM - 8GB or more is highly recommended
- 10GB Free Hard Disk space
- Microsoft Office 2013 or newer for report generation
There are several reasons why this problem may occur:
- If you don't have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable Package installed on the server, the server daemon (FTI.exe) won't start. You can download the package here.
- If you are using an old version of the FTI.exe server daemon or out of date FlexLM utilites, the server may not work. Please contact support for instructions for downloading the latest server license install package.
- If the server name or formingid/hostid/dvsn is incorrect or if the license is expired, the server won't start. You can open the license file with a text editor to check these values. If the server name is incorrect, you can change it with the text editor. If the license codes are incorrect, you will require a new license.
- There is a security feature in Windows called Data Execution Prevention. In some cases, this feature may prevent the license server from starting. If this is the case, the log file may show an error like "Failed to open socket to lmgrd, Exiting" and/or "EXITING DUE TO SIGNAL 28 Exit reason 5". To avoid this error, do the following:
- Stop the license service using LMTOOLS or in Windows Services
- Stop any process in Task Manager named lmgrd.exe or FTI.exe
- Start the DEP program from Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Data Execution Prevention.
- Add an exception for lmgrd.exe and FTI.exe where the license manager is installed
- Restart the service
- Make sure that all the licensing files are in the same folder and that you have full control over the folder and the files. Ideally, the folder should be on the same drive as the operating system (typically the C: drive). Some problems have been reported when the folder has the same name as the daemon (FTI) so a different name should be used.
Nodelocked licenses are locked to a single computer using the hardware ids.
Instead of setting this variable as a system environment variable, you can also add it to the end of the CATIA environment and it will work the same way.
Note that on 64-bit systems, you will require the 64-bit redistributable to run the CATIA software. The 32-bit redistributable is also required to use the materials database editor (it is a 32-bit application).
NOTE: The external view option is only available from the Tools menu when the Generative Shape Design (GSD) workbench is active.
If the license agreement comes up every time, it may be because you don't have write permissions to the installation folder. An administrator should be able to accept the agreement such that the file is created. Once this is done, the software should function correctly.
If the license agreement dialog appears but does not show the text of the agreement, it probably means that there is a problem with the system environment variable.
FTI's analysis based solutions require the CATIA GPS module to function. This module provides the required meshing and other related analysis functionalities.
The CATIA based nesting solutions do not require GPS.
To invert the colour scale on your thickness strain and the thickness plot double click on the colour bar, select the ... button and check the Inverse box.
A FormingID is generated automatically during installation and can also be generated manually using lmformingid.exe. See below for where to download this executable.
If you can't see the colours when displaying the result plots you should change your rendering style to Shading with Material or you can use a custom rendering style, but ensure that you check the material option.